Log in

No account? Create an account
Masters Programs - Theater Educators [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Theater Education

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Masters Programs [Jun. 16th, 2006|11:46 pm]
Theater Education
I am currently pursuing my BA in Theatre Arts (Performance Emphasis) with Teacher Licensure and hope to teach high school theatre. I know a lot of high schools encourage (and sometimes even pay for) teachers to obtain their masters -- are these preferred to be M of Ed or MFA's or... what? I'm currently at Greensboro College and am interested in pursuing my MFA in Acting (instead of a Masters of Ed) after graduation, hence why I'm asking.

From: fightdirector
2007-04-19 02:58 am (UTC)
I am a bit curious as to why you would want to get your MFA to specifically teach High School. An MFA is a terminal degree (tenure track similar to PhD) and is more suitable for post-secondary education. As someone who just completed an MFA, I can tell you that you will have NO time for teaching - aside from undergrad courses from whatever school you attend. The MFA is also a practical degree designed specifically to prepare the student for work in professional theatre (i.e. acting, directing, dramaturgy, etc...). If all want to do is teach, you might consider an MA in Theatre (usually a 2 year program) which you can always further with a PhD in Theatre History, Performance Studies, etc... I would personally avoid a M of Ed to teach theatre. Good Luck!
(Reply) (Thread)