Log in

No account? Create an account
Masters Programs - Theater Educators [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Theater Education

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Masters Programs [Jun. 16th, 2006|11:46 pm]
Theater Education
I am currently pursuing my BA in Theatre Arts (Performance Emphasis) with Teacher Licensure and hope to teach high school theatre. I know a lot of high schools encourage (and sometimes even pay for) teachers to obtain their masters -- are these preferred to be M of Ed or MFA's or... what? I'm currently at Greensboro College and am interested in pursuing my MFA in Acting (instead of a Masters of Ed) after graduation, hence why I'm asking.

[User Picture]From: emspunky
2006-06-21 03:18 am (UTC)
A school district will usually support, and sometimes help pay for, a MA degree that has to do with teaching, curriculum, etc. It would be extremely difficult to #1. get the support or $$$ from a school district for an MFA in acting, and #2. teach while pursuing your MFA at the same time. Most teachers need to earn their Master's during the summer months, or take time off once they've worked a few years in a district and have a continuing contract.

If you want to teach in a high school setting, an MA would be best. If you want to teach at the university level, then earning an MFA would be the way to go.

I'm currently earning my MA in Theatre Production at Central Washington University. Over 80 drama teachers from all over the world are in this program. This program is unique because it's designed for teachers, and it's an MA in Theatre, which I'm passionate about. It occurs during the summer months, so I can still teach my high school and middle school students during the school year. I wanted my MA to be in theatre, so this worked out great for me.

Hope that info helps at least a little!
(Reply) (Thread)
From: fightdirector
2007-04-19 02:58 am (UTC)
I am a bit curious as to why you would want to get your MFA to specifically teach High School. An MFA is a terminal degree (tenure track similar to PhD) and is more suitable for post-secondary education. As someone who just completed an MFA, I can tell you that you will have NO time for teaching - aside from undergrad courses from whatever school you attend. The MFA is also a practical degree designed specifically to prepare the student for work in professional theatre (i.e. acting, directing, dramaturgy, etc...). If all want to do is teach, you might consider an MA in Theatre (usually a 2 year program) which you can always further with a PhD in Theatre History, Performance Studies, etc... I would personally avoid a M of Ed to teach theatre. Good Luck!
(Reply) (Thread)